Old School Karaoke
I have a confession. I did not like being a Karaoke DJ for several reasons. I am not a good singer or rapper. The quality of the microphones are not good. The recommended professional equipment sounds like crap. I don't like carrying around CD/DVD's of most songs I never played. Most of all, I hate the big book, out-dated, song catalog. What I did like about Karaoke is that people love it. Because I love people, I need to change me or something, if I want to enjoy Karaoke.
Change the Karaoke Game
The last thing I want was to play at an event where the same 5 people sing all the songs. I wanted people to feel like stars. That means I need to change from old school Karaoke to a New Up-to-Date Karaoke. Here were my list of changes;
- Provide a way for non-signers to participate in Karaoke without embarassment and have fun
- Improve the quality of the microphones and sound to enhance their voice
- High Quality Professional Sound System - Not a Home System or Cheap Karaoke System
- NO CD/DVD's - All songs are mp3+g or mp4 format or available online for instant access. All songs must be 100% legal.
- NO old school catalog. Catalog available online, easy access, using your phone.
- Lights for the performer, with the focus on the star of the show.
- If you can't sing or don't know the words, why not Lip-Sync and perform. Stars do it all the time!
I started with portability because I am a mobile DJ first and the system must be rugged and light weight. I built a high-powered, portable PC with the following specs;
- CPU: 3.40 GHz - Intel i7 Quad Core
- Memory: 16GB DDR3 DRAM
- Storage: 512GB SSD; 1TB SSHD; 2TB External
- OS: Windows 10 (64bit)
Professional Sound System
Quality of sound is important to me. I consider myself a sound engineer first, disc jockey second. Here is my system.
- Yamaha MG10XU Sound Mixer - I recommend the MG12XU
- JBL 615M Powered Speakers - 1000 RMS Watts
- Pioneer DDJ-SX2 Controller - No reason, I just like it
Make sure you have a high quality microphone to enhance your voice with no feedback, snap, crackle or pop. Hear is what I use.
- Shure PG58 Handheld Wireless Microphone System
- Shure 55SHII Dynamic Microphone - Everyone LOVES IT!
- Shure SM58 Handheld Microphone for back up
Nearly ALL the Karaoke Software I tried are either outdated or did not meet the standards I was seeking. However, I did find a service that met my needs. Karaoke-Version and KaraFun actually met the requirements I was seeking. Here are the key items I preferred;
- Access to over 27,000 legal Karaoke Tracks
- Updated Online Catalog - No BOOKS!!!
- Link to your phone - Live at Events
- Request Songs, Send Selfies and much more
- Add or remove vocals, so you can lip-sync, dance and have fun again
I use the following lights at my shows;
- Chauvet DJ Colorstrip Wash Lights
- Chauvet DJ Gigbar IRC Effect Lights
- Chauvet DJ 4Play-CL Moonflower Lights
Karaoke is fun again with DJ Chuck Anthanio. You can have fun without embarassment. If you want to sing... SING! If you want perform and Lip-Sync, Just Do It! Have a request? Use your phone and make it! Also use your phone as a monitor. We have a growing library of over 27,000 legal Karaoke songs. Finally, you will have enough lights to make you think that you're on "The Voice", "America's Got Talent" or "Lip-Sync Battle".